FDM problems
sibear
2008-07-27 12:27:21 UTC
Every time I try and download a file with FDM I get the
following error.
Opening file on disk
Path not found
Stopped.

If I try and download the file without FDM I have no
problems at all.
I've never had a problem with FDM before and even after a
re-install can't get it to work.
Also been getting speed issues with FDM before it stopped
working.
Any ideas?
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2008-07-27 14:15:43 UTC
Post by sibear
Every time I try and download a file with FDM I get the
following error.
Opening file on disk
Path not found
Stopped.
If I try and download the file without FDM I have no
problems at all.
I've never had a problem with FDM before and even after a
re-install can't get it to work.
Also been getting speed issues with FDM before it stopped
working.
Any ideas?
FDM is telling you that it's trying to save a file to somewhere that
doesn't exist, and has given up.

Check your FDM settings, particularly the destination folder and the
temporary folder.

Cheers - Jaimie
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" -- Groucho Marx
sibear
2008-07-27 14:52:37 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by sibear
Every time I try and download a file with FDM I get the
following error.
Opening file on disk
Path not found
Stopped.
If I try and download the file without FDM I have no
problems at all.
I've never had a problem with FDM before and even after a
re-install can't get it to work.
Also been getting speed issues with FDM before it stopped
working.
Any ideas?
FDM is telling you that it's trying to save a file to somewhere that
doesn't exist, and has given up.
Check your FDM settings, particularly the destination folder and the
temporary folder.
Cheers - Jaimie
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" -- Groucho Marx
The save destination folders are always created by FDM within the folder
that you designate as the default. There is no tempory folder used by FDM
that I can find. I can't see why FDM would use a temp folder anyway. The
file being saved is basically a temp folder until it's complete.
I've double checked the save settings and they are the same that I have
always used.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2008-07-27 15:09:19 UTC
Post by sibear
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by sibear
[...]
Have you tried clearing the FDM saved settings cache at C:\Documents
and Settings\<your login name>\Application Settings\Free Download
Manager?

You could also clear the application settings in the registry, at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FreeDownloadManager.ORG

You will lose all your settings. Well, not quite all - somehow after
clearing both of those FDM still has it's history. Hmm.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Post by sibear
So, what do *you* do for a living?
I sit in a chair pressing small plastic rectangles with my fingers
while peering at many tiny, colored dots. -- Peter Manders
sibear
2008-07-27 15:36:17 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by sibear
Post by sibear
So, what do *you* do for a living?
I sit in a chair pressing small plastic rectangles with my fingers
while peering at many tiny, colored dots. -- Peter Manders
Thanks Jaimie, only problem is that I can't remember my easynews password and I've
changed my e mail addy since opening my account a couple of years back. You can't
change you e mail addy without your passord and you can't recover your passowrd
without your e mail addy. I know you can get them with your credit card details but
that means a trip to my mum's as my card isn't acceptable by easynews. So, if I
clear all my settings I'll lose my login details from FDM and then it won't work
either. I'm starting to get irritated. Maybe I'll just leave it for a few days and
a few reboots and see if windows does it's usual trick of sorting some problems on
it's own.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2008-07-27 16:06:53 UTC
Post by sibear
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by sibear
Post by sibear
So, what do *you* do for a living?
I sit in a chair pressing small plastic rectangles with my fingers
while peering at many tiny, colored dots. -- Peter Manders
Thanks Jaimie, only problem is that I can't remember my easynews password and I've
changed my e mail addy since opening my account a couple of years back. You can't
change you e mail addy without your passord and you can't recover your passowrd
without your e mail addy. I know you can get them with your credit card details but
that means a trip to my mum's as my card isn't acceptable by easynews. So, if I
clear all my settings I'll lose my login details from FDM and then it won't work
either. I'm starting to get irritated. Maybe I'll just leave it for a few days and
a few reboots and see if windows does it's usual trick of sorting some problems on
it's own.
What web browser? Firefox will show you the passwords you have saved.

Otherwise, Google up "snadboy revelation" for a very handy tool to dig
up your password from either your browser's EN login panel or from FDM
itself.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
You are standing at the gate to Gehennom. --more--
Unspeakable cruelty and harm lurk down there. --more--
So be it. You fall down the stairs. -- Nethack 3.31
sibear
2008-07-27 21:26:27 UTC
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by sibear
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by sibear
Post by sibear
[...]
Hmmm, Firefox shows the wrong password even though it logs me in everytime as I have the
main members page bookmarked so the browser goes straight there. Guess I'll have to try the
snadboy revelation. Incidentally, FDM won't work with any download? Weird.
sibear
2008-07-27 22:20:08 UTC
Post by sibear
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by sibear
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by sibear
Post by sibear
[...]
Thanks for your help Jaimie. For some reason, as soon as I let it download to the default
folder without adding a sub folder (which I always have done before), it worked. Snadboy
couldn't pick up the password and the one stored in Firefox's list was wrong??? LOL.
Fortunately, after double checking I had changed my e mail addy at some point. Now I just need
to sort the speeds out coz it's down to arounf 30KB instead of 800!!. Sigh.
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2008-07-27 23:13:34 UTC
Post by sibear
Thanks for your help Jaimie. For some reason, as soon as I let it download to the default
folder without adding a sub folder (which I always have done before), it worked.
Bizarre!
Post by sibear
Snadboy
couldn't pick up the password
Maybe FF is proof against it, it's certainly possible to be. It spies
on on the Windows password-hiding function which I bet FF doesn't use,
and hasn't been updated since long before FF2 came out.
Post by sibear
and the one stored in Firefox's list was wrong??? LOL.
Double bizarre. I can't imagine how FF lets you in at all then. Unless
you were looking at the password saved against www.easynews.com,
rather than members.easynews.com or secure.easynews.com or
zipmanager.members.easynews.com or...
Post by sibear
Fortunately, after double checking I had changed my e mail addy at some point. Now I just need
to sort the speeds out coz it's down to arounf 30KB instead of 800!!. Sigh.
You're *definitely* having a Bad Computing Day. Good luck! Try
changing your route, http://members.easynews.com/route/

Cheers - Jaimie
Beer has food value, but food has no beer value.
sibear
2008-07-28 00:42:26 UTC
Post by sibear
Fortunately, after double checking I had changed my e mail addy at some point. Now I just need
to sort the speeds out coz it's down to arounf 30KB instead of 800!!. Sigh.
You're *definitely* having a Bad Computing Day. Good luck! Try
changing your route, http://members.easynews.com/route/
Cheers - Jaimie
--
Beer has food value, but food has no beer value.
Firefox shows the right password now. Bizarre. As to changing my route; I've tried all the new
limited options and they all give pretty much the same result. Max throughput between 30 & 50KB!
Pathetic. I get faster speeds from UTorrent and I hate using peer to peer. Maybe I'll see if the
secure site helps at all but I seriously doubt it. Why did Godzilla have to sell up? :(
lazarus0
2008-07-28 03:55:10 UTC
Post by sibear
Post by Jaimie Vandenbergh
Post by sibear
[...]
I've never had FDM create a folder for me. I need to specify which folder I
want the download to go to and if I specify an invalid path, I get an error.
Perhaps you're thinking of another program which creates folders?
Damien
2008-07-28 16:10:29 UTC
If you have a security question on your account you can use that to
verify your access to get your password, just call us or send an email
stating your issue to ***@easynews.com and we will be glad to assist
you.

Sincerely,
Damien